help finding my file
Lorrie E Clemens
2017-10-20 00:45:26 UTC
Hello,
I am new to GnuCash.
I was able to download all of my information and balance my accounts
earlier this month and I did make a copy.
While I was doing all of the input I ended up having a lot of GnuCash
folders on my desk top. I put them into the trash but have not deleted
them.
I wanted to put in more payments today, but I am not sure how to access my
data. If I click on Gnucash-Intel it cannot pull up my account.
So I do I get back into my account and how do I prevent scores of GnuCash
folders from downloading on my desktop? Also, how do I install the GnuCash
app so that it stays on my computer? Or do I have to go on line to
reinstall every time?
Sincerely,
Lorrie Clemens
David Carlson
2017-10-20 03:49:34 UTC
Hi Lorrie,

Welcome to GnuCash.

For this discussion I am assuming that you have installed GnuCash onto a
Windows computer. You only need to do that once.

First, create a folder under My Documents called LorrieGnuCashData or
something like that.

If you have your file explorer set to show file extensions then your
Gnucash data files will have .gnucash extension or .gnucash with a 14 digit
number and either a .log or .gnucash extension. yes, there are a lot of
them but they are all backups except for the newest one with the short
extension name, which is your actual data file. There is a setting for how
long to keep the backups. You will want to make a separate backup now and
then for the day that your hard drive fails.

Then undelete all those files that GnuCash cluttered up your desktop with
and move them to to that new folder.

Finally, pick the newest file that has a simple .gnucash file extension and
double click on it.

Thereafter you can either double click that filename or the GnuCash Icon.

David C
David Carlson
2017-10-20 11:30:17 UTC
Lorrie, you should have replied to All because I do not have a Mac, and I
cannot help you. Others here can.

David C
Hi David,
No, I have a Mac.
Lorrie
David T. via gnucash-user
2017-10-20 12:35:58 UTC
Lorrie,
With regard to the files on the desktop, David Carlson's advice is sound.
As for keeping the app on your computer, I suspect that you were opening gnucash from the downloaded disk image; you must drag gnucash.app from that image into the Applications folder to complete the installation.
David

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 16:32, David Carlson<***@gmail.com> wrote: Lorrie, you should have replied to All because I do not have a Mac, and I

Please remember to CC this list on all your repl
Lorrie E Clemens
2017-10-20 20:58:16 UTC
Hi David,
I have done as you suggested, but no matter what version that I open that says gnucash that has 14 digits.log I get “file/URI/Users/Lorrie ... gnucash could not be found.”
When I double click on a file 2.38.21PM.gnucash I get the same message.
When I open the file that ends with a four digit number.LNK it asks for me to choose an application. I choose Gnucash-2.6.18-Intel and my screen choices are in gray so I can not choose them. (And the list is: authors.text, copying.text, documenters.txt, Financequote Update, Gnucash, License.txt, NEWS.txt, and README.txt.)
I redownloaded Gnucash-2.6.18-Intel and still no luck.
Lorrie

Sent from my iPad
Derek Atkins
2017-10-20 21:16:53 UTC
On a Mac you cannot open a file via double click. When gnucash opens on a
Mac it will always open the last file it had open, regardless of what you
click on. On a Mac you must use File - > Open to open a specific file.

-derek
Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.
You can do this by using Repl
Lorrie E Clemens
2017-10-20 22:03:48 UTC
HimDerek,
So I am missing a step here.
I double click on Gnucash 2-6-18 and I get the box with authors, copying, etc. I click on Gnucash and I get the tip of the day, then a box pops up in the left corner saying that the file/URI/ etc could not be found.
I must be taking the wrong path.
Lorrie
Sent from my iPad
You can do this by using Reply-To-L
Derek Atkins
2017-10-20 22:21:06 UTC
Hi
First, when you click on gnucash-2.6.18, you should drag the gnucash app to
your /Applications folder.
Then double click on the /Applicstions/Gnucash app.
The error you see is because it was trying to load the file from your
desktop, but you moved or removed it so it can't find it.
You will either need to replace it, or File Open the new location.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-Al
Lorrie E Clemens
2017-10-20 22:40:27 UTC
OK, so I removed the Gnucash that was in my applications folder and mover the Gnucash-2-6.18 in. I double clicked on that and I get the Gnucash window that pops up the the small window that says free accounting software. But I still get that the file/URI/users... cannot be found. I tried launching from the Gnucash icon on my desk top and I get the same thing.
I don’t know what you mean by You will either need to replace it, or File Open the new location.
Lorrie

Sent from my iPad
Derek Atkins
2017-10-23 18:18:49 UTC
Hi,
Post by Lorrie E Clemens
OK, so I removed the Gnucash that was in my applications folder and
mover the Gnucash-2-6.18 in. I double clicked on that and I get the
Gnucash window that pops up the the small window that says free
accounting software. But I still get that the file/URI/users... cannot
be found. I tried launching from the Gnucash icon on my desk top and I
get the same thing.
I don’t know what you mean by You will either need to replace it, or
File Open the new location.
GnuCash on Mac will *always* try to re-open the last file it had opened.
It will do this regardless of how you start gnucash. Unlike other apps,
even if you double-click on a data file, GnuCash WILL NOT open that data
file -- it will still try opening the last file you had opened.

Because you cleaned off your Desktop that file no longer exists where
GnuCash is looking for it -- hense, it's popping up a dialog to tell you
that it can't be found.

So you have two thing you can do:

1) You can replace the file. If it's looking in
e.g. <Desktop>/MyFinances.gnucash then you can just find your file
wherever you moved it (deleted it?) and then put it back onto your
Desktop. Then GnuCash will find it again.

or

2) You can bypass the dialog, and then from GnuCash go the FILE menu,
click on OPEN (File -> Open) and then browse to the location of your
data file.

Regardless, I would suggest that you not store your data file on the
Desktop. Make a folder and put it in there.

Good Luck,
Post by Lorrie E Clemens
Lorrie
-derek
Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
***@MIT.EDU PGP key available
You can do this by using Reply-To
Maf. King
2017-10-20 22:32:50 UTC
Post by Lorrie E Clemens
HimDerek,
So I am missing a step here.
I double click on Gnucash 2-6-18 and I get the box with authors, copying,
etc. I click on Gnucash and I get the tip of the day, then a box pops up in
the left corner saying that the file/URI/ etc could not be found. I must be
taking the wrong path.
Lorrie
Sent from my iPad
Hi,

I don't use a Mac, so this is based on what I've read over the years on the
list...

You are on the right path, but not far enough along it.

When the "can't find file" dialogue box appears, close it, then go File->Open
and navigate to the folder with your data files in it. look for
<something>.gnucash not any of the backups with the string of digits, nor the
.log or .LCK files. (<something> is what you originally called the datafile)

HTH,
Maf.

Lorrie E Clemens

Dave H
2017-10-20 23:01:20 UTC
Hi Lorrie,

I suggest you create a "GnuCash" folder in your "Documents" folder and copy
your gnucash files there - that way your log files don't clutter up your
desktop.

Cheers Dave H (newly transitioned Mac user :-)
Post by Maf. King
.log or .LCK files. (<something> is what you originally called the
datafile)
Post by Maf. King
HTH,
Maf.