CSV Import
Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
2017-03-26 02:01:47 UTC
Just began using GnuCash for a local non-profit group. I tried importing transaction data from CSV file. It kept failing. The documentation doesn't describe proper file format or details about CSV import. I need to eliminate manual input of data as the non-profit has revenue from multiple sources.
I did an export and examined the file contents. I have multiple questions about format and meaning of the columns.
I have multiple rows for each transaction, showing multiple categories. There is a column called 'Type'. The values are 'T' and 'S'.

What is the 'Type' column and what is the meaning of the values?
What is the column 'Action' for and what values might it contain?

What are the meanings of the 'To With Sym', 'From With Sym', 'To Num', 'From Num' and 'To Rate' columns?

What rules determine what values are placed in these cells for importing data?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank youSteve I
Geert Janssens
2017-03-27 18:53:17 UTC
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
Just began using GnuCash for a local non-profit group. I tried importing
transaction data from CSV file. It kept failing. The documentation doesn't
describe proper file format or details about CSV import. I need to
eliminate manual input of data as the non-profit has revenue from multiple
sources. I did an export and examined the file contents. I have multiple
questions about format and meaning of the columns. I have multiple rows for
each transaction, showing multiple categories. There is a column called
'Type'. The values are 'T' and 'S'.
Hi Steve,

Let's start with the bad news: in gnucash 2.6 and earlier gnucash is unfortunately not capable of
importing its own export data.

The good news is this will be fixed in the next major release (2.8) currently tentatively planned
for somewhere near the end of this year.
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
What is the 'Type' column and what is the meaning of the values?
The "Type" is there to make a distinction between lines with transaction ('T') related data (date,
num, description,..) and lines split ('S') related data in multi-row export. This will be handled
differently in the new version and hence the type column has been removed.
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
What is the column 'Action' for and what values might it contain?
The 'Action' column is equivalent of the 'Action' field in every split in gnucash. In essence it's a
free field, but it's often used to store things like 'Buy', 'Sell',... for trading transactions.
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
What are the meanings of the 'To With Sym', 'From With Sym', 'To Num', 'From
Num' and 'To Rate' columns?
I *think* these columns are an attempt to define one two-split transaction on one line. "To With
Sym" and "From With Sym" stand for the amounts being transferred in that transaction but with
their currency/commodity symbol included.

I'm not really sure about 'To Num' or 'From Num'. 'To Rate' is an exchange rate/price in case it's
a transaction between two accounts in different currencies/commodities.
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
What rules determine what values are placed in these cells for importing
data? Your help is greatly appreciated.
As I said, the current CSV importer can't process such a file. It will only allow you to set a very
limited number of fields, such as a date, transaction number, description, amount (in the form of
deposit or withdrawal) and the base account in which to import the transactions. This importer
had a very limited use case in mind: importing csv files from a bank, which usually don't contain
much more than this info.

The new importer will allow you to set many more fields and will be able to import directly from
files exported by gnucash.

Regards,

Geert
Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
2017-03-28 11:16:22 UTC
Thanks for the info on the output columns for an export. Is there any guidance on how to do an import on split transactions? For instance does the split amounts have to be imported separately? Perhaps an example from someone who was able to import.

I randomly scanned through some of the archives. Also, tried to do a search from the accounting info page using this link:
Or you can search the gnucash-user Archives. https://lists.gnucash.org/search/?idxinfo=gnucash-user

That results in a Not Found error for the search page.
Thanks again

#yiv7515208836 p, #yiv7515208836 li {white-space:pre-wrap;}On Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user wrote:> Just began using GnuCash for a local non-profit group. I tried importing> transaction data from CSV file. It kept failing. The documentation doesn't> describe proper file format or details about CSV import. I need to> eliminate manual input of data as the non-profit has revenue from multiple> sources. I did an export and examined the file contents. I have multiple> questions about format and meaning of the columns. I have multiple rows for> each transaction, showing multiple categories. There is a column called> 'Type'. The values are 'T' and 'S'.> Hi Steve, Let's start with the bad news: in gnucash 2.6 and earlier gnucash is unfortunately not capable of importing its own export data. The good news is this will be fixed in the next major release (2.8) currently tentatively planned for somewhere near the end of this year. > What is the 'Type' column and what is the meaning of the values? The "Type" is there to make a distinction between lines with transaction ('T') related data (date, num, description,..) and lines split ('S') related data in multi-row export. This will be handled differently in the new version and hence the type column has been removed. > What is the column 'Action' for and what values might it contain? The 'Action' column is equivalent of the 'Action' field in every split in gnucash. In essence it's a free field, but it's often used to store things like 'Buy', 'Sell',... for trading transactions.> > What are the meanings of the 'To With Sym', 'From With Sym', 'To Num', 'From> Num' and 'To Rate' columns? I *think* these columns are an attempt to define one two-split transaction on one line. "To With Sym" and "From With Sym" stand for the amounts being transferred in that transaction but with their currency/commodity symbol included. I'm not really sure about 'To Num' or 'From Num'. 'To Rate' is an exchange rate/price in case it's a transaction between two accounts in different currencies/commodities.> > What rules determine what values are placed in these cells for importing> data? Your help is greatly appreciated.> As I said, the current CSV importer can't process such a file. It will only allow you to set a very limited number of fields, such as a date, transaction number, description, amount (in the form of deposit or withdrawal) and the base account in which to import the transactions. This importer had a very limited use case in mind: importing csv files from a bank, which usually don't contain much more than this info. The new importer will allow you to set many more fields and will be able to import directly from files exported by gnucash. Regards, Geert

You can do thi
Geert Janssens
2017-03-28 16:39:57 UTC
(First reply didn't go to list, so resending)

On dinsdag 28 maart 2017 13:16:22 CEST you wrote:

Thanks for the info on the output columns for an export. Is there any guidance on how to do an
import on split transactions? For instance does the split amounts have to be imported
separately? Perhaps an example from someone who was able to import. I randomly scanned
through some of the archives. Also, tried to do a search from the accounting info page using this
link: Or you can search the gnucash-user Archives. https://lists.gnucash.org/search/?
idxinfo=gnucash-user That results in a Not Found error for the search page. Thanks again

As I said the csv import functionality in the 2.6 series is rather limited. It has no notion of split
transactions for csv data.

So there is no way to import (multi-)split transactions from csv in gnucash 2.6. It will only accept
data where each line describes a transaction but in e very limited way:
Each line should have
- a date
- a description
- an amount (be it deposit or withdrawal)

Based on this information it will use a bayesian match algorithm to determine if the same
transaction was already in your gnucash or not.

On the last page of the importer it will show you its findings and allow you to correct. These
corrections include
* manually mark existing transactions as such if the bayesian match didn't detect it
* inversely, mark transactions as new if the bayesian match falsely believed it had found a
match
* for all transactions that weren't matched to existing transactions in gnucash you can complete
them (to a limited extent). That means for such transactions you can indicate a transfer
account. (The base account was specified earlier in the import process, either in your column
data or in a separate page).

That's about as much as the csv importer can do.

Limitations:
- if your import data holds a transfer account, it's completely ignored. You will be asked to
specify one in the last page (if the bayesian match didn't find a match).
- there is no way to import multi-split transactions. The import will always create two-split
transactions.

Lastly the search pages are indeed broken. The software that provided them has been
abandonded quite some time ago and doesn't work on the current server OS used to host the
lists. To search the archives you can make use of google's site search by entering something
like below in a google search field:
<my search> site:lists.gnucash.org
So for example
csv import site:lists.gnucash.org

Regards,

Geert
Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
2017-03-31 20:24:20 UTC
If the current CSV import has a simple use case then why does it always error and never import?
The error screen is no help whatsoever in determining the error.
I created a CSV with columns as displayed on the transaction input screen. Does not work.
I stripped the CSV down to the columns described below. Does not work.
What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
What are the formats of each column?
This is an example of the data based on the columns mentioned below:
Date,Description,Income
1/1/2017,Garri Ann Hearn,18
1/1/2017,Garri Ann Hearn,11
1/1/2017,Pamela Healy,18
1/3/2017,Robert Marten,100
1/4/2017,john landi,7
The CSV import fails consistently without any real clue as to the problem. How is this data supposed to be formatted?
Searching the archives is not helpful. There are too many unrelated results in the archive. This is a straight-forward problem and if the CSV is simple then it should not be difficult to figure this out.
Appreciate the help.Steve

#yiv2776656852 p, #yiv2776656852 li {white-space:pre-wrap;}On dinsdag 28 maart 2017 13:16:22 CEST you wrote:
Thanks for the info on the output columns for an export. Is there any guidance on how to do an import on split transactions? For instance does the split amounts have to be imported separately? Perhaps an example from someone who was able to import. I randomly scanned through some of the archives. Also, tried to do a search from the accounting info page using this link: Or you can search the gnucash-user Archives. https://lists.gnucash.org/search/?idxinfo=gnucash-user That results in a Not Found error for the search page. Thanks again

Hi Steve, As I said the csv import functionality in the 2.6 series is rather limited. It has no notion of split transactions for csv data. So there is no way to import (multi-)split transactions from csv in gnucash 2.6. It will only accept data where each line describes a transaction but in e very limited way:Each line should have- a date- a description- an amount (be it deposit or withdrawal) Based on this information it will use a bayesian match algorithm to determine if the same transaction was already in your gnucash or not. On the last page of the importer it will show you its findings and allow you to correct. These corrections include* manually mark existing transactions as such if the bayesian match didn't detect it* inversely, mark transactions as new if the bayesian match falsely believed it had found a match* for all transactions that weren't matched to existing transactions in gnucash you can complete them (to a limited extent). That means for such transactions you can indicate a transfer account. (The base account was specified earlier in the import process, either in your column data or in a separate page). That's about as much as the csv importer can do. Limitations:- if your import data holds a transfer account, it's completely ignored. You will be asked to specify one in the last page (if the bayesian match didn't find a match).- there is no way to import multi-split transactions. The import will always create two-split transactions. Lastly the search pages are indeed broken. The software that provided them has been abandonded quite some time ago and doesn't work on the current server OS used to host the lists. To search the archives you can make use of google's site search by entering something like below in a google search field:<my search> site:lists.gnucash.orgSo for examplecsv import site:lists.gnucash.org Regards, Geert

You can do this by using Reply-
Geert Janssens
2017-04-01 08:55:24 UTC
[...]

I have just tried your sample data and got to the last page of the importer
with no issues (the page where you can assign accounts to each of the
transactions). My first attempt failed because I didn't select the proper date
format. Setting it to "d-m-y" got me through with no problems.

At which point does it fail for you and how ?

Regards,

Geert
Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
2017-04-02 00:50:54 UTC
No way, there is no way the CSV import works!

To start I removed the header row as it wasn't really needed.

The original date format was the typical US, m/d/yyyy. I changed it to d-m-yyyy, replacing the forward slash with a hyphen. It failed.

I changed the date to yyyy-m-d, and it failed.

This is the test data that I tried to import:

    2017-2-1,Pamela H,18
    2017-2-1,John L,18

Preview Settings (screen)
Start import on row 1 and stop on row 2
Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
Data type: separated
Separators: comma
Date Format: y-m-d
Currency Format: locale
Step over Account Page if Setup: checked

Click the Forward button

Account Selection (screen)

ERROR:
There are problems with the import settings!
The date format could be wrong or there are not enough columns set...

Every time, it fails at the same place and with the same message, every-single-time.

I am running Windows 7.

I don't want to do data entry as I have data from multiple sources that I want to import.

What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
What are the formats of each column?
I need a work around or a fix to move forward.
Thanks

Please remember to CC this list on all your repl
GT-I9070 H
2017-04-02 05:24:49 UTC
Hi Steve,

Why do not you try to use XLSM2QIF?

Https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Published_tools

You can import your CSV data into XLSM2QIF, work the data as you want with
the power of MS Excel and export to QIF and then do a QIF import into
GnuCash.

XLSM2QIF has a powerful QIF exporter and the QIF importer of GNUCash works
well.

That would solve your problem now.

Good luck!
GTI

Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
No way, there is no way the CSV import works!
To start I removed the header row as it wasn't really needed.
The original date format was the typical US, m/d/yyyy. I changed it to
d-m-yyyy, replacing the forward slash with a hyphen. It failed.
I changed the date to yyyy-m-d, and it failed.
2017-2-1,Pamela H,18
2017-2-1,John L,18
Preview Settings (screen)
Start import on row 1 and stop on row 2
Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
Data type: separated
Separators: comma
Date Format: y-m-d
Geert Janssens

Sent: Saturday, April 1, 2017 4:55 AM
[...]
Sent from my smartphone. Please excuse my brevity.
You
Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
2017-04-03 21:17:25 UTC
I removed the carriage return from the end of the line and left only the line feed. That did not help. Also, tried adding an extra column before the line feed and that did not help either. Thought your suggestion of the CR and LF in the windows file might be a solution but removing the CR did not help.
Unless there is another trick or work around I'm inclined to say the Windows CSV import is non-functional.

It was suggested I try using the Excel macro to convert to QIF. Once I get caught up I will see if that works. Also, once caught up I will help test the split-transaction import, but need to keep moving.
Thanks

You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-Al
Nigel Stapley
2017-04-02 20:15:15 UTC
This may be asking the blindingly obvious but did you set the column
headings correctly? You don't mention them in your list of actions. This
might answer your query about the column formats?

Nigel

ps hope this is the correct way to post reply!

On 2 Apr 2017 01:55, "Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user" <
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
No way, there is no way the CSV import works!
To start I removed the header row as it wasn't really needed.
The original date format was the typical US, m/d/yyyy. I changed it to
d-m-yyyy, replacing the forward slash with a hyphen. It failed.
I changed the date to yyyy-m-d, and it failed.
2017-2-1,Pamela H,18
2017-2-1,John L,18
Preview Settings (screen)
Start import on row 1 and stop on row 2
Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
Data type: separated
Separators: comma
Date Format: y-m-d
Nigel Stapley via gnucash-user

Geert Janssens
2017-04-15 08:28:51 UTC
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
No way, there is no way the CSV import works!
To start I removed the header row as it wasn't really needed.
The original date format was the typical US, m/d/yyyy. I changed it to
d-m-yyyy, replacing the forward slash with a hyphen. It failed.
I changed the date to yyyy-m-d, and it failed.
2017-2-1,Pamela H,18
2017-2-1,John L,18
Preview Settings (screen)
Start import on row 1 and stop on row 2
Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
Data type: separated
Separators: comma
Date Format: y-m-d
Currency Format: locale
Step over Account Page if Setup: checked
Click the Forward button
Account Selection (screen)
There are problems with the import settings!
The date format could be wrong or there are not enough columns set...
Every time, it fails at the same place and with the same message, every-single-time.
I am running Windows 7.
I don't want to do data entry as I have data from multiple sources that I want to import.
What columns are supposed to be in the CSV file?
What are the formats of each column?
I need a work around or a fix to move forward.
Hi Steve,

I just tried again on my Windows test system. I can succesfully import the
data you suggest (gnucash 2.6.15).

As for what columns are supposed to be in the CSV file, there are 3 mandatory
columns: a date column, a description column and then either one of Deposit,
Withdrawal, Balance. The sequence in which they are in the CSV file can vary,
so it's up to you to tell the importer which column is which in your data. You
do this in the Preview page of the importer by clicking on the header fields
of the data table (each of which is initially set to "none").

In your step by step description above you don't mention doing this. Perhaps
that's the issue ?

Regards,

Geert
Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
2017-04-25 19:52:00 UTC
I'm finally at a point where I can test the import again before the next month of transactions arrive. Following your suggestion below I was in fact missing the step to click on the header row to indicate the column. Dang it on me.

Now, however, there are new issues!

I'm trying to import into an income account with an offsetting entry into an asset account. Twice I told it the amount column is a deposit and both times it reduced the income * and * the asset account.

Both times it did that and both times I ended up manually deleting the test import transactions.
I tried a third time and now it wants to transfer the entire balance to the asset account.
None of this makes any sense!

Also, on the match transactions screen it shows three columns: A, U+R, R.
What are they?
How do I know whether to check them or not?
CSV import should be straight-forward and easy. I've never seen an import that is so fickle, unreliable and lacking of information in how to use it.

What exactly is the use-case for this?
What is the procedure to import into an income account with offsetting entry into an asset account?

Also, if you click the back button and then the forward button again. It errors and cannot proceed.
Thank youSteve

You can do
Geert Janssens
2017-04-26 20:35:17 UTC
Hi Steve,
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
I'm finally at a point where I can test the import again before the next
month of transactions arrive. Following your suggestion below I was in fact
missing the step to click on the header row to indicate the column. Dang it
on me.
Now, however, there are new issues!
I'm trying to import into an income account with an offsetting entry into an
asset account. Twice I told it the amount column is a deposit and both
times it reduced the income * and * the asset account.
Both times it did that and both times I ended up manually deleting the test
import transactions. I tried a third time and now it wants to transfer the
entire balance to the asset account. None of this makes any sense!
This is hard to interpret without some example data unfortunately.
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
Also, on the match transactions screen it shows three columns: A, U+R, R.
What are they?
A = add (suggesting a new transaction will be added for this line)
U+R = update + reconcile (in case the current line is an update for an already
existing transaction, which will also reconcile it)
R = reconcile (I presume for when an exact match is found for the current
line)
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
How do I know whether to check them or not?
The importer will make educated guesses if it finds transactions similar to
the lines to import. Only you can know for sure whether these guesses are
correct and may need to adjust what the importer thought to have found.
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
CSV import should be straight-forward and easy. I've never seen an import
that is so fickle, unreliable and lacking of information in how to use it.
Unfortunately it's not that straight-forward. It has to be more complicated
than a csv importer in say a generic spreadsheet because the imported data has
to be mapped to very specific data structure. As there is very little
information available to do this mapping, it requires human guidance at
several points. This will remain so in the future implementation (for gnucash
2.8) to some extent. The user will be able to import more detailed csv files
making the mapping step more complete. But at the same time it still has to be
able to cope with the absolute minimal csv file as well. Which will still
require the user to fill in the gaps.
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
What exactly is the use-case for this?
The original use case for the csv importer is importing a bank statement in
csv format. Traditionally this only has very limited information (from the
gnucash point of view, that is): a date, a transaction number, a description
and an amount. All the rest has to be added by the importer to come to proper
(two-split) gnucash transactions. For this simple use case the primary missing
elements are the two accounts involved in this simple transaction. As a bank
statement is usually (but not even always) for one bank account at the time,
the originating account should only be entered once. The transfer account can
be different for each (bank) transaction. Gnucash tries to learn which
transfer accounts you usually have based on the description. The effectiveness
of this learning heavily depends on the quality of the descriptions your bank
provides.

Imports get much more difficult when multiple currencies are involved (not
supported at all in 2.6, limited support in 2.8), when the transaction is
multisplit (for example our Belgian banks withdraw a service charge from time
to time, but this is really split up in the real charge and a VAT part. These
parts should go to separate accounts. Again, not supported at all in 2.6,
limited support in 2.8)...
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
What is the procedure to import into an income account with offsetting entry
into an asset account?
I have never tried to import directly in the income account. Instead I have
only seen imports into an asset account. So it's very well possible your use
case has bugs.
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
Also, if you click the back button and then the forward button again. It
errors and cannot proceed. Thank youSteve
I think that was due to poor design in the 2.6 importer. The 2.8 one should be
more resilient to such actions.

Regards,

Geert
Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
2017-04-28 14:10:48 UTC
Geert,thanks for the detailed answers to my questions.

Afterwriting the email I experimented with the import and changed it to import intothe asset account and it worked. Through trial and error, I discovered how theimport works.

Isee there was some discussion regarding importing into an asset account. So,let me answer the question. Why would I try to import into an income accountand transfer to an asset account?

Ignoringconcepts about where income originates, here is the important point about howthe software works.

Ican manually enter transactions into the income account with a transfer to theasset account. Given that, it is not unreasonable for a new user to expect theimport function to follow the same rules as manually entering transactions.

Whatmight make the import a bit more useful is to allow for a transfer account tooccur in the import row. A user could still review on the screen and it mighteliminate the need for touching each import record.
I mentioned previously about helping with some testing. I can put it on an olddesktop. Is there a windows development version ready for testing?
Also,are they test cases written or is it informal testing?

Thanksagain

You can do this by using
Geert Janssens
2017-04-28 15:11:22 UTC
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
Geert,thanks for the detailed answers to my questions.
After writing the email I experimented with the import and changed it to
import into the asset account and it worked. Through trial and error, I
discovered how the import works.
Great to hear that :)

I immediately have another question regarding your initial test data: were
there negative numbers in there and if so did they have the minus sign in
front or behind the number ? If behind, that would explain why your import
didn't work. That is currently not supported (and still so in the new
importer) because the number parsing code is pretty limited for now. As said
in another message in this thread I hope to get around to fixing this still
before gnucash 2.8 ships.
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
I see there was some discussion regarding importing into an asset account.
So, let me answer the question. Why would I try to import into an income
account and transfer to an asset account?
Ignoring concepts about where income originates, here is the important point
about how the software works.
I can manually enter transactions into the income account with a transfer to
the asset account. Given that, it is not unreasonable for a new user to
expect the import function to follow the same rules as manually entering
transactions.
Ageed.
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
What might make the import a bit more useful is to allow for a transfer
account to occur in the import row. A user could still review on the screen
and it might eliminate the need for touching each import record.
The new importer allows this.

By the way I think this is a good time for a shout out to Robert Fewell. He's
the one doing the first edition of the new importer for 2.8, including what
you propose above. I started from his fully working importer, converted it to
c++ and worked to clean up the ui and user interactions.
Post by Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
I mentioned
previously about helping with some testing. I can put it on an old desktop.
Is there a windows development version ready for testing? Also, are they
test cases written or is it informal testing?
That's great!
Any nightly build more recent than April 14 should be ok for testing the
importer. Though GTI mentions file corruption when saving. That seems
unrelated to the importer though, so you can test the importer. Always work on
a backup copy !

There are no formal user test cases. Use it, abuse it in every way you can.
And report your findings.

Regards,

Geert
Steve Isenberg via gnucash-user
2017-05-05 02:39:49 UTC
Geert,
There were no signs in the test data I used. I did finish April's transactions in the current stable release and the import worked. Thanks for that.
Question, what is the link for the nightly downloads?
I went to the .org site and it jumped me to Source Forge to download what appears to be the latest stable release. I'm looking for the test version for testing.
Thanks

Geert Janssens
2017-05-05 06:23:49 UTC
Post by GT-I9070 H
Geert,
There were no signs in the test data I used. I did finish April's
transactions in the current stable release and the import worked. Thanks
for that. Question, what is the link for the nightly downloads?
I went to the .org site and it jumped me to Source Forge to download what
appears to be the latest stable release. I'm looking for the test version
for testing. Thanks
Good to hear the import worked.

The nightly builds can be found here:
http://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/master/

Apparently there's currently an issue with saving data using theses builds. I
haven't had time to verify this yet. These really are development snapshots so
you can expect all kinds of buggy behavior in them. Be sure to work on a copy
of your data or have backups ready to restore!

Also note that installing a test build will replace your currently installed
gnucash. In itself this is not an issue. After testing you can reinstall the
release of your choice to go back to the the situation before testing with no
negative side effects.

Having said all that you can run import tests in such a build (without saving
it).

Regards,

Geert
Geert Janssens
2017-03-30 11:44:30 UTC
Okay, when this is eventually updated, version 2.8 I believe you mentioned,
and if you need help testing it let me know. I am very interested in the
CSV import process and especially split-transactions so I am willing to
assist if possible.
Thanks again for the reply and information.
Steve
You're welcome.

There are ways to test the unreleased csv importer already now as there are
several ways to install the current development version of gnucash.

**Warning** Always make a backup of your data file first before using a
development version of gnucash. It less well tested than the stable versions
and may contain known, unfixed bugs that can corrupt your data.

Having said that, here are a few options, depending on your comfort level:

On Windows you can simply download the nightly build from here:
http://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/master/
and install it. This will replace a stable installation of gnucash, but you
should be able to install the stable version of the development version at any
time after you have finished testing.

If you're on Fedora, there is also a copr repository which updates nightly to
the most recent development snapshot. Contrary to the Windows installer I
would suggest to first uninstall your current gnucash and then install from
the copr repository.

Quick instructions
sudo dnf remove gnucash gnucash-docs
sudo dnf copr enable gjanssens/gnucash-master
sudo dnf install gnucash gnucash-docs

To return to the gnucash package from the distribution do
sudo dnf remove gnucash gnucash-docs
sudo dnf copr disable gjanssens/gnucash-master
sudo dnf install gnucash gnucash-docs

And lastly you could build the master branch of gnucash from scratch and test
the csv importer from there.

I'd love feedback this new importer. And the sooner I get this the more time I
may have to improve on it before the 2.8 release at the end of this year.

Regards,

Geert
GT-I9070 H
2017-03-31 03:58:02 UTC
Hi Geert,

Congratulations for your great work! : )

I'm willing to test the new CSV importer.

I downloaded the last three versions available
(gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-25-git-cd07876 + -setup;
gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-29-git-b3eb9d0 + -setup and
gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-27-git-2b777b9 + -setup) on the link you reported
and installed on my VM W10[14393] and all gave error.

All complained that icuuc57.dll and pthreadGC2.dll were missing, I found
pthreadGC2.dll on my 2.6.15 installation and icuuc57.dll on the internet,
copied it to the faulty installation and it still did not work.

Why does not it work?

Regards
GTI
Geert Janssens
2017-04-01 08:58:59 UTC
Post by GT-I9070 H
Hi Geert,
Congratulations for your great work! : )
I'm willing to test the new CSV importer.
I downloaded the last three versions available
(gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-25-git-cd07876 + -setup;
gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-29-git-b3eb9d0 + -setup and
gnucash-2.6.99-2017-03-27-git-2b777b9 + -setup) on the link you reported
and installed on my VM W10[14393] and all gave error.
All complained that icuuc57.dll and pthreadGC2.dll were missing, I found
pthreadGC2.dll on my 2.6.15 installation and icuuc57.dll on the internet,
copied it to the faulty installation and it still did not work.
Why does not it work?
Unfortunately you hit the issue which also impacted our 2.6.16 release. The
underlying mingw system had updated dependencies while some of our self
compiled components still relied on the now missing pthreadGC2.dll.

icu is a new dependency in the unstable series and apparently isn't packaged
yet in the gnucash installer.

So alas, for now the windows nightly is broken. I won't have time until next
week to get this fixed. Perhaps someone else can. If not I'll see what's
needed when I'm back.

Geert
GT-I9070 H
2017-04-01 15:45:12 UTC
Ok, Alright Geert!

I think I can live another week without the new importer : )
Please let us know when this is fixed.

Thanks
GTI
Geert Janssens
2017-04-15 09:03:04 UTC
Post by GT-I9070 H
Ok, Alright Geert!
I think I can live another week without the new importer : )
Please let us know when this is fixed.
Thanks
GTI
An update - John was so kind to fix the dependency issues for the windows
nightly build yesterday and the most recent nightly build installs and runs
fine again:
http://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/master/gnucash-2.6.99-2017-04-14-git-c7226dd+5-setup.exe

Unfortunately in my first test of the new importer I have run into a windows-
only bug: the column headers aren't clickable and hence there is no way (yet)
to specify the column types. I'll need to get that fixed first.

On the other hand the built-in preset to import data that was exported by
gnucash does work fine. Which suggests the other parts of the importer are in
pretty good shape.

A little more patience will be needed... :)

Geert
GT-I9070 H
2017-04-20 00:02:48 UTC
Post by Geert Janssens
An update - John was so kind to fix the dependency issues for the windows
nightly build yesterday and the most recent nightly build installs and runs
http://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/master/gnucash-2.
6.99-2017-04-14-git-c7226dd+5-setup.exe
Thanks Geert for the update !
And Thanks John for the fix!

I installed gnucash-2.6.99-2017-04-18-git-b2b32e2+-setup.exe and I can
confirm that dependency issues are fixed.
Post by Geert Janssens
Unfortunately in my first test of the new importer I have run into a windows-
only bug: the column headers aren't clickable and hence there is no way (yet)
to specify the column types. I'll need to get that fixed first.
On the other hand the built-in preset to import data that was exported by
gnucash does work fine. Which suggests the other parts of the importer are in
pretty good shape.
A little more patience will be needed... :)
Geert
I noticed that if you switch "No Settings->GnuCash Export Format->No
Settings" the column headers become clickable.

I am looking forward to testing the new importer, I will find time to play
with it and I'll give you the feedback.

Thanks : )
Regards
GTI
GT-I9070 H
2017-04-20 22:28:08 UTC
I made an import of a 304KB csv file exported by GnuCash and these are my
first remarks:

* Sometimes the importer/GnuCash either froze or was long parsing (eg. When
to change the header), in doubt I killed the process and started again. A
progress bar would be welcome!

* In the csv reconciled column I have the letters "n", "a" and "p" and only
"n" was understood, I had to ignore this column in order not to lose
transactions.

* There are doubts about whether to select the "account" column header for
csv's "Account Name" or "Account Full Name".

* After import, some values had decimal changes and a new line with the
blank comment came up, possibly to balance the transaction.
I do not think this was generated by the importer.
When we register a multi-currency transaction with a single rate and with
splits, GnuCash record rates with small differences for each split and when
we export a csv these different rates are exported and reflect in the
values (not in the default currency) when imported.

Suggestion:
It would be nice if we could edit the csv on the importer to make minor
corrections!

From my point of view, the importer sometimes showed to be cumbersome
(possibly parsing), but it works well!

This was my first test, I'll do others.

Regards
GTI
GT-I9070 H
2017-04-21 05:09:31 UTC
One more critical info:

In gnucash-2.6.99-2017-04-18-git-b2b32e2+-setup.exe if just opening and
saving you destroy the data file.
When we tried to reopen it, we received the message "There was an error
parsing the file".

Thus, there is no way to finalize the importer's test.

Regards
GTI
Post by GT-I9070 H
[...]
From my point of view, the importer sometimes showed to be cumbersome
Geert Janssens
2017-04-26 20:48:10 UTC
Hi GTI,

Thank you for your first testing results.
Post by GT-I9070 H
I made an import of a 304KB csv file exported by GnuCash and these are my
That's a pretty huge import. We usually suggest to do smaller import runs,
though that's mostly to allow the importer to train its bayesian transaction
matcher.
Post by GT-I9070 H
* Sometimes the importer/GnuCash either froze or was long parsing (eg. When
to change the header), in doubt I killed the process and started again. A
progress bar would be welcome!
A fair point.
Post by GT-I9070 H
* In the csv reconciled column I have the letters "n", "a" and "p" and only
"n" was understood, I had to ignore this column in order not to lose
transactions.
Hmm, it looks like the importer and exporter aren't using the same
translations for the reconcile letters. Needs fixing.
Post by GT-I9070 H
* There are doubts about whether to select the "account" column header for
csv's "Account Name" or "Account Full Name".
For importing in gnucash you most likely want "Account Full Name". The other
one is in the import data as an extra column to be used as you like outside of
gnucash. In some situations this would be more elegant than the full account
name.
Post by GT-I9070 H
* After import, some values had decimal changes and a new line with the
blank comment came up, possibly to balance the transaction.
What do you mean with "a new line with the blank comment" ? An additional
split in a transaction that was not part of the csv file ?
Post by GT-I9070 H
I do not think this was generated by the importer.
Do you mean "generate by the *ex*porter" ? If not, please explain in more
detail.
Post by GT-I9070 H
When we register a multi-currency transaction with a single rate and with
splits, GnuCash record rates with small differences for each split and when
we export a csv these different rates are exported and reflect in the
values (not in the default currency) when imported.
A good point! I believe this is a design mistake in the export/import
functionality of gnucash. Internally it stores amount/value and exchange rate
is calculated. However it exports amount/exchange rate, which upon importing
is converted back to amount/value. That's two calculations adding potentially
two rounding errors. I believe we should consider exporting value as well. I
don't know how easy this will be, but it's worth investigating.
Post by GT-I9070 H
It would be nice if we could edit the csv on the importer to make minor
corrections!
You can do that after importing. Adding such editing capabilities to the
importer seems a lot of effort for little added benefit.
Post by GT-I9070 H
From my point of view, the importer sometimes showed to be cumbersome
(possibly parsing), but it works well!
Can I ask you to write bug reports for each of the above issues/improvements ?
The mailing lists has proven to be a poor bug tracker...

Thanks again for testing and feedback!

Geert
David Carlson
2017-04-27 03:17:11 UTC
I am a user that has mostly used the OFX import tool, but I am watching
this thread to see what will be coming soon.

I never considered using any import tool to import into either Income or
Expense accounts. I thought they were only for Asset or Liability
accounts, with transfers to any type of account. I personally cannot think
of any reason to import directly to an Income or Expense account.

Perhaps the import tools should only allow imports into Asset or Liability
accounts, period.

David C
Post by GT-I9070 H
It would be nice if we could edit the csv on the importer to make minor
corrections!
You can do that after importing. Adding such editing capabilities to the
importer seems a lot of effort for little added benefit.
From my point of view, the importer sometimes showed to be cumbersome
GT-I9070 H
2017-04-27 16:49:28 UTC
Geert Janssens
2017-04-28 08:24:03 UTC
Post by David Carlson
I am a user that has mostly used the OFX import tool, but I am watching
this thread to see what will be coming soon.
I never considered using any import tool to import into either Income or
Expense accounts. I thought they were only for Asset or Liability
accounts, with transfers to any type of account. I personally cannot think
of any reason to import directly to an Income or Expense account.
Perhaps the import tools should only allow imports into Asset or Liability
accounts, period.
David,

While I am not the original author of any of the importers I suspect they were
all written with importing statements from bank or credit card companies as
primary use case. Such statements will only hold information about one side of
a transaction, namely the asset or liability account.

On the other hand due to the double entry principle gnucash allows you to look
at a transaction from any angle. So I think it would be nice if the importers
showed the same flexibility and can manage sources that describe transactions
from other perspectives. I see no reason why this can't work other than
perhaps the importer not handling the sign reversals properly and the column
names not always being very helpful.

One such (theoretical) example would be importing from another accounting
package that does double entry as well. I can imagine I'd want to import
everything in such a case, not only transactions touching assets or
liabilities.

Regards,

Geert
Post by David Carlson
David C
Post by GT-I9070 H
It would be nice if we could edit the csv on the importer to make minor
corrections!
You can do that after importing. Adding such editing capabilities to the
importer seems a lot of effort for little added benefit.
From my point of view, the importer sometimes showed to be cumbersome
GT-I9070 H
2017-04-27 06:21:16 UTC
Post by GT-I9070 H
csv's "Account Name" or "Account Full Name".
For importing in gnucash you most likely want "Account Full Name". The other
one is in the import data as an extra column to be used as you like outside of
gnucash. In some situations this would be more elegant than the full account
name.
Yes, experience has led me to conclude what you have confirmed here.
Post by GT-I9070 H
* After import, some values had decimal changes and a new line with the
blank comment came up, possibly to balance the transaction.
What do you mean with "a new line with the blank comment" ? An additional
split in a transaction that was not part of the csv file ?
A big yes.
An additional split in a transaction that was not part of the csv file.
You understood my poor English well !
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by GT-I9070 H
I do not think this was generated by the importer.
Do you mean "generate by the *ex*porter" ? If not, please explain in more
detail.
No, I said *im*porter.
I thought I explained it in the old next paragraph, but I'll try to detail
it in the following new lines:
I exported transactions from GnuCash to a csv and then imported adding (On
the match transactions screen I selected "A") these transactions from this
csv and compared the transactions imported with their existing originals
(which were exported). They should be obligatorily the same.

But in some of these new imported transactions some values had decimal
changes and a new split with blank commenting appeared with values that I
figured would be to balance the transaction. I did not make calculations to
check the balance, there may be an imbalance.

I said I don't think this decimal changes was generated by the importer
because I know the behavior of GnuCash and I know it automatically adds
divisions with values to balance transactions.

As you mentioned the exporter, we will analyze it better.

Perhaps the fault is the exporter because it exports currency 1 value and
rate and compels us to calculate the currency 2 value where it would be
best to export currency 1 value and currency 2 value and the rate would be
calculated.

I fully agree with what you said in the following paragraph.
Post by GT-I9070 H
we export a csv these different rates are exported and reflect in the
values (not in the default currency) when imported.
A good point! I believe this is a design mistake in the export/import
functionality of gnucash. Internally it stores amount/value and exchange rate
is calculated. However it exports amount/exchange rate, which upon importing
is converted back to amount/value. That's two calculations adding potentially
two rounding errors. I believe we should consider exporting value as well. I
don't know how easy this will be, but it's worth investigating.
Yea!
Post by GT-I9070 H
It would be nice if we could edit the csv on the importer to make minor
corrections!
You can do that after importing. Adding such editing capabilities to the
importer seems a lot of effort for little added benefit.
It can't be done after the import because the transactions with errors,
with fields not understood will be ignored and not imported. In order not
to lose the transaction, we will have to cancel the import, locate the
error in the csv edit it and try the import again.

I do not know how much work it would be, but it would be a very welcome
facility.
Who decides if it's worth it is you.
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by GT-I9070 H
From my point of view, the importer sometimes showed to be cumbersome
(possibly parsing), but it works well!
Can I ask you to write bug reports for each of the above
issues/improvements ?
The mailing lists has proven to be a poor bug tracker...
Yes of course, this is the least I can do to contribute.
I'll find time to do it.
Post by Geert Janssens
Thanks again for testing and feedback!
Geert
Thank you Geert : )

I was testing/debugging/disassembling a virus that causes .exe and others
to no run and I reversed my VM and discarded the data from the first test,
but I would like to take the test to the end but in

Geert Janssens
2017-04-28 08:06:28 UTC
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by GT-I9070 H
* After import, some values had decimal changes and a new line with the
blank comment came up, possibly to balance the transaction.
What do you mean with "a new line with the blank comment" ? An additional
split in a transaction that was not part of the csv file ?
A big yes.
An additional split in a transaction that was not part of the csv file.
You understood my poor English well !
If you write a bug report for this, it would be very helpful if you could add
a sample csv file that causes this. But please don't make it a 300K sample
file. It should only have the lines needed to reproduce the problem.
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by GT-I9070 H
[...]
Ok, I can follow you now when you said "not generated by the importer". You
may be right, although the generic part of the importer (which I haven't
touched) is also altering transactions before they really go into gnucash. It
will need more investigation which part exactly does this.

Also here, please add a small sample csv file to the bug report.
Post by Geert Janssens
As you mentioned the exporter, we will analyze it better.
Perhaps the fault is the exporter because it exports currency 1 value and
rate and compels us to calculate the currency 2 value where it would be
best to export currency 1 value and currency 2 value and the rate would be
calculated.
Value importing will definitely help in avoiding rounding errors in multi-
currency transactions.
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by Geert Janssens
I do not know how much work it would be, but it would be a very welcome
facility.
I had considered this at some point while working on the c++ conversion. At
that point it definitely was more work that I had available time.

Perhaps some middle ground can be found. For example by adding a "Reload csv
file" button to the preview page the user could have both the importer open in
gnucash and the csv file in a text editor. After editing the csv file, only
the reload button need to be pushed to refresh the preview with the updated
csv data instead of completely restarting the import.

While less work, it's still on my "a nice to have for someday" list in terms
of priorities. For now there are more pressing matters to attend to.
Post by Geert Janssens
I was testing/debugging/disassembling a virus that causes .exe and others
to no run and I reversed my VM and discarded the data from the first test,
but I would like to take the test to the end but in
gnucash-2.6.99-2017-04-18-git-b2b32e2+-setup.exe if just opening and saving
you destroy the data file.
When we tried to reopen it, we received the message "There was an error
parsing the file".
That clearly needs debugging as well...

Regards,

Geert
GT-I9070 H
2017-04-30 22:54:25 UTC
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by Geert Janssens
split in a transaction that was not part of the csv file ?
A big yes.
An additional split in a transaction that was not part of the csv file.
You understood my poor English well !
If you write a bug report for this, it would be very helpful if you could add
a sample csv file that causes this. But please don't make it a 300K sample
file. It should only have the lines needed to reproduce the problem.
Ok, And it will not be 300K!
Post by Geert Janssens
check the balance, there may be an imbalance.
I said I don't think this decimal changes was generated by the importer
because I know the behavior of GnuCash and I know it automatically adds
divisions with values to balance transactions.
Ok, I can follow you now when you said "not generated by the importer". You
may be right, although the generic part of the importer (which I haven't
touched) is also altering transactions before they really go into gnucash. It
will need more investigation which part exactly does this.
Also here, please add a small sample csv file to the bug report.
This here is the same issue as the previous paragraph, so far, we need a
transaction to demonstrate the issue.
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by Geert Janssens
I do not know how much work it would be, but it would be a very welcome
facility.
I had considered this at some point while working on the c++ conversion. At
that point it definitely was more work that I had available time.
Perhaps some middle ground can be found. For example by adding a "Reload csv
file" button to the preview page the user could have both the importer open in
gnucash and the csv file in a text editor. After editing the csv file, only
the reload button need to be pushed to refresh the preview with the updated
csv data instead of completely restarting the import.
Yes, it would be better than nothing.
A little better than your suggestion would be a button to open and
search/locate the error in a pre-defined editor!

Post by Geert Janssens
of priorities. For now there are more pressing matters to attend to.
Yes, time and availability is lacking for some people.
This sounds ironic in a world with so many people unemployed, hungry,
refugees.
There is a big problem with capitalism, it does not work, but forget it,
that's not the issue here until someday someone steals or explodes our
servers. : )
What we need is more people and not that you work harder!
Post by Geert Janssens
you destroy the data file.
When we tried to reopen it, we received the message "There was an error
parsing the file".
That clearly needs debugging as well...
Every monkey on your twig, that's how it works best. LOL.
Regards,
Geert
Geert Janssens
2017-05-05 06:44:35 UTC
Post by GT-I9070 H
I made an import of a 304KB csv file exported by GnuCash and these are my
(snip)
Post by GT-I9070 H
* In the csv reconciled column I have the letters "n", "a" and "p" and only
"n" was understood, I had to ignore this column in order not to lose
transactions.
This should be fixed now in the latest nightlies.

(snip)

Geert
GT-I9070 H
2017-05-06 04:17:54 UTC
Post by GT-I9070 H
"n" was understood, I had to ignore this column in order not to lose
transactions.
This should be fixed now in the latest nightlies.
(snip)
Geert
Great!
All Bus Reports are already open.

Gerald Ellis
2017-04-03 04:18:11 UTC
Geert:

I am running Fedora 4.9,14-200.fc25.i686+PAE on an HP 8200 Compaq Elite
Desktop PC. I have been trying to Upgrade my gnucash 2.6.25 to the
latest version 2.6.16 without success.
I ran the Quick Instructions from your post and got the 2.6.99 nightly
update to load properly and it appeared to work. I did not want to
continue using it so I ran the steps to return to the gnucash package
from the distribution and got the original 2.6.15 to install.

How can I upgrade to 2.6.16?
Post by Geert Janssens
Okay, when this is eventually updated, version 2.8 I believe you mentioned,
and if you need help testing it let me know. I am very interested in the
CSV import process and especially split-transactions so I am
willing to
assist if possible.
Thanks again for the reply and information.
Steveunreleased csv importer already now as there are

Please remember to CC this list on all your replie
Liz
2017-04-03 10:15:39 UTC
On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 23:18:11 -0500
Post by Gerald Ellis
I am running Fedora 4.9,14-200.fc25.i686+PAE on an HP 8200 Compaq
Elite Desktop PC. I have been trying to Upgrade my gnucash 2.6.25 to
the latest version 2.6.16 without success.
I ran the Quick Instructions from your post and got the 2.6.99 nightly
update to load properly and it appeared to work. I did not want to
continue using it so I ran the steps to return to the gnucash package
from the distribution and got the original 2.6.15 to install.
How can I upgrade to 2.6.16?
Can I check some details???
You have Gnucash 2.6.25 now?
You want Gnucash 2.6.16?

Liz
Gerald Ellis

Geert Janssens

You can do this by usi
david.carlson.417
2017-04-27 18:48:45 UTC
GT-I9070 H
2017-04-27 19:54:01 UTC
David, don't get angry, I apologized early admitting a possible mistake of
mine, although until now I didn't see my mistake.

Although in a smaller number, It's perfectly possible that there are
transactions between income and expenses in all their possible combinations.

Even if you don't have it personally, it's entirely possible that the
assets used to pay certain expenses have been provided by more than one
bank, credit card or others asset/liability.

An importer is made for everyone and not for particular cases.

It makes no sense to work to limit the good capabilities of an importer or
app.
GTI,
Your very eloquent, bordering on whimsical response to my message ...
And please, do not use direct adjectives or you will be able to hear them
too.

If you think I still do not understand and that you are sure of your
reason, I ask for your patience, please forgive my ignorance one more time
and try to explain me better.

A hug of friendship : )
Regards
GTI
Geert Janssens
2017-04-28 10:00:24 UTC
Post by GT-I9070 H
Although in a smaller number, It's perfectly possible that there are
transactions between income and expenses in all their possible combinations.
Sure such transactions exist and the importer should be able to import these,
provided the csv data is structured in a way the gnucash importer understands.
Post by GT-I9070 H
Even if you don't have it personally, it's entirely possible that the
assets used to pay certain expenses have been provided by more than one
bank, credit card or others asset/liability.
In double entry accounting you can look at a transaction from any account and
consider the others as transfer accounts.

If there's at least one (and possibly more) asset/liability account involved
in a transaction you can model the import source file such that it looks as if
you are importing into an asset/liability account. So this particular example
is not a motivation to be able to import income/expense accounts.
Post by GT-I9070 H
An importer is made for everyone and not for particular cases.
While I love to agree and surely do in theory unfortunately that's not always
true in reality for various practical reasons.
Post by GT-I9070 H
It makes no sense to work to limit the good capabilities of an importer or
app.
There are: time required vs available to implement and maintain the code.

To illustrate: in the bank/cc company scenario the provided data is usually
pretty limited (date/num/description/amount) so much data needs to be guessed/
deduced. The import/export between different accounting applications or even
between different gnucash books can potentially provide much more detail
making life easier on the importer. So we're discussing a very broad spectrum
of use cases with greatly varying amounts of data to start from. I don't
expect the importer to be able to handle every possibly conceivable csv file.
In certain cases one will need to preprocess the csv file to be able to import
successfully. One such example is gnucash will incorrectly import negative
numbers with a trailing negative sign [1]. This is a restriction in code I
haven't touched (yet). If time permits I eventually will.

Regardless, as I have said before I don't think there are technical
restrictions that should prevent the importer from being used to import
income/expense data.

Regards,

Geert

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=778983
GT-I9070 H
2017-05-01 00:12:05 UTC
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by GT-I9070 H
Even if you don't have it personally, it's entirely possible that the
assets used to pay certain expenses have been provided by more than one
bank, credit card or others asset/liability.
In double entry accounting you can look at a transaction from any account and
consider the others as transfer accounts.
This should be known by the most basic user of gnucash, I expected someone
to say this to give credibility to my words and I hoped it was you who
would say.

What I was waiting to say is that since a transaction involves two accounts
and the transaction can be viewed by either side, it does not make sense to
say "Import DIRECT to Asset or to Liabilities or to Income or to Expense."

Post by Geert Janssens
in a transaction you can model the import source file such that it looks as if
you are importing into an asset/liability account. So this particular example
is not a motivation to be able to import income/expense accounts.
What I mean is, If you design an importer who filters out a certain asset
or liability or Income or Expense account, you are eliminating all
transactions that involving this account and your pair (which can be any
other account), you will be crippling the importer, you will be disabling
the importer.

The most common and the most number are those transactions that involving
an asset/liability account and an expense account, how are we going to
import into an asset/liability account this transactions if the importer
filters expense accounts? Impossible.
Post by Geert Janssens
An importer is made for everyone and not for particular cases.
While I love to agree and surely do in theory unfortunately that's not always
true in reality for various practical reasons.
An importer SHOULD BE made for for everyone and not for particular cases.
Post by GT-I9070 H
[...]
I'm very relieved and pleased to know that!
What I forgot to ask in the other email is:
Do you prefer a Bug Report for each Issue/Improvement or a Bug Report for
everything?

Regards
GTI
Geert Janssens
2017-05-01 10:49:26 UTC
Post by GT-I9070 H
Do you prefer a Bug Report for each Issue/Improvement or a Bug Report for
everything?
Separate bug reports for each issue/improvement are easier to manage.

Thanks!

Geert
GT-I9070 H
2017-05-01 22:35:41 UTC
Post by Geert Janssens
Post by GT-I9070 H
Do you prefer a Bug Report for each Issue/Improvement or a Bug Report for
everything?
Separate bug reports for each issue/improvement are easier to manage.
Thanks!
Geert
Ok. That will be done.
Thank you again!